Monday, September 24, 2012

Gifts for the Hubby


My husband celebrated his birthday recently. I admit, I find it challenging to give him gifts.  We have been together for 14 years and I'm running out of ideas. We often go out to see a show or have a special meal instead of giving material gifts on special occasions.  We enjoy the gift of time spent together.  Other times, I have made photo albums or keepsakes to commemorate events like anniversaries.  One year, I made an album of tickets that I collected over the years.  I put a year on each spread and added quotes and findings. 
 



For our 10th anniversary, I made a photo collage with 10 photos, one for each year, showing the growth of our family and highlighting special things we did each year. It’s hanging in a hallway, where we can appreciate it regularly.


This year, in the spirit of spending less, I decided to repurpose a hooded Eagles sweatshirt. Since we moved from PA to CT (even though he still supports the Birds) he doesn’t wear his Eagles attire as often.  Plus, this one happened to be a duplicate.  I decided it would make a comfortable and fun pillow cover to enhance the décor of the mancave where the football watching takes place. I used a throw pillow that had gone unused as the stuffing.  I started by cutting out the image on the front into a rectangle slightly larger than the pillow to allow for expansion and seams.
 
 
 Then I cut a rectangle from the back that was the same height, but slightly wider and cut that in half.  So I had one front piece and two back pieces to accommodate an opening to slide the pillow in and out. 
 
I did a quick rolled hem on the inside edges of the two back pieces and then pinned the fronts together all around, making sure to overlap the two back pieces in the middle.

 
Then it was just a matter of sewing them together on all four sides, turning it right side out and stuffing the pillow in.  Done…washable Eagles pillow cover in under an hour.  Happy Birthday sweetie!
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment