Monday, October 1, 2012

Creative Costumes

It's October!  We can't wait for Halloween at our house.  Our preparations are in full swing.  I'll be sharing more of the decorations soon.  In the meantime, I want to talk costumes.  I generally make my kids costumes for Halloween.  So, yeah, it takes longer than picking one up at Target, but we enjoy coming up with fun ideas for costumes that are inexpensive, easy to make, and possibly more unique than the standards. Here are some of my favorites from years past.  My baby bumblebee is made from a yellow onesie, some yellow and black felt for stripes and black craft foam for wings.  I used hot glue to attach everything and spruced up the wings with some glitter paint.  This was for my son who was 1 month old for Halloween that year so it needed to be flexible, warm and cute without being hazardous or cumbersome.  I also had a yellow strechy hat with some flexible antenea added.  I don't have a photo of the hat since I have no idea what happened to it!




 



Another costume that was quick and super cute was the parrot.  I took a red hoodie and embellished it with colored feathers from the dollar store and a felt beak and eyes on the hood.  It was worn with red strechy pants and kept my little one warm for trick-or-treat since it was perfect for layering under.  I also like the facial features being on the hood since it eliminates potential problems with masks and/or face makeup. 




 


 

One of my favorites was the Oreo cookie costume.  I started with large circles cut from white foam core board.  I covered them in brown craft foam and embellished with smaller cutout foam pieces and black felt letters (I would have preferred to use brown letters, but that was not available) to simulate the famous cookie design.  I made two identical rounds (obviously!) and attached them with white ribbon to go over my little guy's shoulders like a sandwich board.  I dressed him in white sweats underneath and he was the sweetest cookie ever!
 
This year my daughter has requested a cupcake costume so I'm already hard at work on that one. I'll be sure to post photos of the finished product.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment